Wednesday 19 September 2018

Journal Jottings of My Everyday Life

 LIFE:  SEPTEMBER 5th -16th, 2018 
                TALKS, TV, MUSICAL DELIGHTS, BLOGGING & AN ORGANISING SESSION    

TALKS

“Away with the Fairies “ was the  intriguing title from the Wednesday Club speaker, who took us on a journey to the Isle of Tiree in the Western  Isles to look at the folk tales  and superstitions linked to fairies - I can’t really say it grabbed my interest.

The theme of Enterprise and Entrepreneurship  was much more to my taste with the Women’s Group talk.  Tara Gray related her experiences in setting up and developing her photographic business,  along with helping her husband on their small farm in the Borders, with their Highland Cattle regular models.    She had diversified into greeting cards, framed prints and fridge magnets, with word of mouth, Facebook and Instagram her best form of advertising - a fascinating, engaging and impressive presentation.

 My photograph of young Highland cattle on the Isle of Mull, looking across to Iona.


ON THE BOX
Vanity Fair  - I am enjoying this latest adaption of William Thackeray's novel - a stylish production,  beautifully acted and costumed and no expense spared with the street scenes. My only reservation - it is on ITV, so every 15 minutes I am catapulted from Regency England to modern days adverts, and I do not like it!

Last Night of the Proms - English eccentricity as concert goers let their hair down for the traditional end with flags waving and patriotic songs sung with great gusto.  But the  star for me was the Canadian  baritone soloist, Gerald Finlay  - he sang the soliloquy from the musical  Carousel  with such feeling and in the section on World War One  songs, his interpretation of  "Roses of Picardy" was beautiful and very moving. 

Three Tenors Concert   - I was so glad I caught this by chance on Sky Arts - a programme on the making of the Three Tenors concert in Rome in 1982.  My favourite  tenor by far has always been Placido Domingo and to hear him sing "You are my Heart's Delight and E Lucevan le Stella from Tosca - sublime with a strong "tingle" factor.


Strictly Come Dancing 2018 - The launch of this year's show was way over the top,   I cannot say I liked the professional dancers' skimpy costumes and there was not even a glance of an acknowledgement towards  the ballroom dances.  But I shall definitely be watching it.  There has been a lot of criticism in the media  about Z list celebrities  -    I only knew three of the names, but that does not bother me.  I knew few last year, but it did not stop me getting to know them and  enjoying the show.

I enjoyed the recap show of looking back over  the years of SCD, though some of the celebrities I could not place.  


A BUSY BLOGGING TIME

AULD EARLSTON EXHIBITION - EARLSTON IN WAR & PEACE
A busy time writing fact sheets, photographIc captions, display headers and then laminating them all.  Below  is one  of my favourite images of a fancy dress parade in 1943  for "Wings for Victory" week.  Cities, towns and villages across BritaIn were given targets to raise money for bombers. Earlston's target was £12.500 and the sum raised was over £22,000 - a magnificent community effort and equivalent to over  £786,000   in today's money. (Source:   National Archives Currency Converter)





 EARLSTON COMMUNITY DAY AT THE RUGBY CLUB
Auld Earlston had a stand with much interest shown in our displays of vintage photographs and the promotion of our forthcoming exhibition. 



 
 Llama visitors attracting attention


BOOKCASE ARRIVAL
My "new to me" bookcase was delivered and I am delighted with it.  I enjoyed setting out my family history and Auld Earlston files and just need to finish the labelling.  



I was so in the mood for organising, I spent an afternoon clearing my summer clothes up to the loft and bringing down my autumn/winter wear.   

MEMO  to myself - do not buy any more jumpers - I found clothes |I had forgotten all about, but am still hunting for my "must have" ankle boots which will  be in the loft somewhere!  


******************* 

Journal Jottings   

  Recording my everyday life for future family historians 
This blog developed from the "Genea-Pourri" prompt on Randy Seaver’s blog Genea-Musings.  I decided to change this title for my own version of this weekly online diary. 
 


3 comments:

  1. Love the picture of the cattle on Mull looking toward Iona. A familiar sort of scene from our trip three years ago. (Can't believe it's been that long ago now!) As to avoiding commercials during your favorite dancing show or any TV show for the matter, we solved that by recording the shows, then watch them later so we can fast-forward through all the ads - and there are SO MANY ads now-a-days they really do interrupt a show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh-P.S. The 'new' bookcase is really nice. No wonder you felt like you got quite a bargain - and Neil didn't even have to put it together for you. Some day I'll have to tell you a funny story about my birthday bookcases Kit DID have to put together for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops - P.P.S. Forgot to mention I really like your beautiful opening photograph. I'm so looking forward to seeing that country when we come next summer. The Highlands and western isles were wonderful, but now I'm anxious to see the rest of Scotland!

    ReplyDelete