Tuesday 4 September 2018

A Pet Talk, Christening Robes, Apple Orchard & A Paper Mountain.

   MY LIFE IN THE SCOTTISH BORDERS: 
  27th August to 3rd September 2018
PET TALK
At the Wednesday Club -  A visit from a docile  and friendly  greyhound and a West Highland terrier -  with a representative of the Borders Canine Trust whose prime activity is taking pets into care homes, hospitals, prisons, special needs schools etc. to provide therapy, relieve stress and enhance health and well being.    

We know from our own three cocker spaniels over time, how calming it can be to have a dog's head on your lap,  as you stroke it. Our last dog Casmir would have made a lovely "Pat Visitor". 

    
 Casmir  - on N.'s knee.

CHRISTENING ROBE EXHIBITION
Earlston Church  held a Christening Robes exhibtion, following its successful Wedding Dresses event a couple of years ago.  The robes were beautifully  displayed  and I had to admire the skill and workmanship in  their making - and in their laundering as they looked so fresh.   Several dated from the 19th century and one had been used down seven gernations and worn by 40 babies - very impressive.
 
 
Not the easiest to photograph because of the light.
   

PHOTO CALL AT MELROSE APPLE ORCHARD

   



SORTING THE PAPER MOUNTAIN - Hopefully!
Our back room is overflowing with books, files and papes and the only solution seems to be - build upwards. Then this week I came across an ideal full length shelving unit  and  I bought it.    The only things is it involves a major reorganizing  and moving around  of our current book shelves.  Cue - granddaughter to help shift stuff.  This is the picture of my family history collection at present in our bedroom .  Delivery date next Tuesday - and I trust my shelf measurements are correct!   



NEW SPECS
I was so looking forward to getting my new glasses, following my cataract operation.  But sadly disappointment!  The left (operated eye) is brilliant, but the right vision now seems much worse than I thought and I feel very disorientated.  I am almost better not wearing the distance glasses  at all. I also have to learn at juggling two pairs, but at least the reading specs do help me at the computer and I am not "nose to the keyboard”, as before.   The good news is I am down to be "fast tracked" to get the right eye done - but quite what "fast track" means in our current NHS remains to be seen.  

TO END ON A CHEERY NOTE
The rowan berries are out in  full force - to brighten up what has been a grey day of continuous heavy rain - at least welcome for the garden.



************
Journal Jottings   
  Recording my everyday life for future family historians   


This blog developed from the "Genea-Pourri" prompt yon Randy Seaver’s blog Genea-Musings.  I decided to change his title for my own version of this weekly online diary.  



Banner Photograph: 
Looking down on the Earlston High School from the Black Hill 




No comments:

Post a Comment