Tuesday 10 July 2018

A Theatre Visit, More Scarecrows, & Flowers are Blooming

LIFE 3RD-8TH JULY 2018

"It's Too Darned Hot"! goes the song from the musical "Kiss Me Kate" - and that was the weather this week - not that I am really complaining, as it is so unusual to have such a good long spell of all day sunshine.   The only gardening I did was to water the plants. 


KISS ME KATE
An all singing, all dancing cast, full orchestra,and an impressive staging of the musical at Edinburgh's Festival Theatre in front of a packed, very appreciative matinee audience - bright, breezy, escapist entertainment at its best. And I cannot get out of my head the star numbers  for me "Another  Opening, Another Show" and the foot tapping  "It's Too Darned Hot". 

I always enjoy our city theatre visits with a friend, with a  leisurely lunch beforehand at our favourite Italian restaurant.  The streets were very busy, and however much I like going up to the city, I love the feeling of leaving it behind when we head home over the Border hills - the countryside at its best.   


GEORGEFIELD WALK  
I was crazy enough to take a longer walk than usual in this heat, largely because I wanted to do something different. I enjoyed it but the idea of taking photographic views over the village was thwarted by the height of the hedgerows. I was glad to sit down and take a breather - and have a drink - once I got back to the square.   

                                         Looking north from Georgefield 

MELROSE IN BLOOM 
More photographic joy in Melrose with the town sprucing up for its Scotland in Bloom entry.  

 Priorwood Gardens 





MORE SCARECROWS AROUND THE VILLAGE
Civic Week's Scarecrow Festival really captured the imagination of the community  and here are more examples of resident's ingenuity and fun. 



                  

 

TELEVISION
Hotel Inspector - I like watching this programme, with my former tourism hat on, where "the hotel inspector" goes into failing hotels, and  bed & breakfasts and advises on the way forward - though I could do without her need for swearing so much. A "first" came with her very truncatted winter visit to the Borders which I was looking forward to.  The new laid back owners  decided very quickly they did not want her advice - and so "cheerio" - having presumably agreed to participate and have the TV crew etc. up there.

Even Wimbledon, for once, hasn’t captured much of my attention, with no Andy Murray to support.  However I saw Kyle Edmond win - but lose in the next round against Djokovic.

DERBYSHIRE DELIGHTS
G. has been down in Derbyshire for the week, staying in a converted small barn on a farm - had a wonderful time, and has regaled us with lots of photos from visits to the National Memorial Arboretum on Armed Forces Day, Chatsworth House, Alton Towers and the National Tram Museum.   


                                A Bakewell Tart from Bakewell, Derbyshire


SOME COMPUTER HASSLES  
Kept getting a message on my main computer  that my server could not send e-mails and to "please contact your  server provider. "  I could not face dealing with BT India, so turned instead to my I Pad and everything was working fine there.  By the next day full service was resumed  on the main computer which I need to send attachments.  So much relief! 

But then I realised my charger for my I Pad was broken - my fault in trying to use it whilst charging on a short flex which pulled out and broke at the connection.  So a quick trip the next day into Galashiels to get a replacement.  I am far too dependent on my I Pad these days - and to think G  wondered if I would make much use of  it when she and N.   gave it me for my birthday! 
************

  
Garden Blooms 

**************

Journal Jottings   
Recording my everyday life for future family historians
 


Developed from the "Genea-Pourri" prompt  on Randy Seaver’s blog Genea-MusingsI I decided to change his title for my own version of this weekly online diar.


No comments:

Post a Comment