Monday 11 December 2017

Life 4-11 Dec. 2017 - Early FestIve Food, Flowers and Fun

The continuing journal of my everyday life, which hopefully will be there for future generations to look back on.   

Monday 4th December 2017
9th birthday for Nh.  It seems so hard to believe - where has the time gone - or is that a  sign of our age?  She and G. called in after school for her presents - main one riding lesson vouchers - and to blow out candles on a cake. But she was then quickly off to gym club - her favourite activity. 


Making an early start on being a gymnast!

We went to Melrose in the morning for our usual activities - library, post office and the traditional  greengrocer’s, plus of course our favourite coffee shop.  A bright morning and the abbey looked lovely in the winter sunshine. 


The abbey was founded in 1136  and is reputed to hold the heart of Robert the Bruce.


Published the latest post on the Auld Earlston blog.  I was short of ideas; I had not had time to research and write a text based post - and wondered any way if many would bother to read it this time of year - so opted for vintage photographs on “Dances, Parties, Socials and Shows”.   So far it is getting good page views.


University Challenge on TV  - one of the best and closest competition in the current series, especially as Edinburgh won, after I thought they were going to be pipped at the post!  As usual I was pleased if I managed to answer 5-6 questions, dragging up history knowledge from years past.  I am OK on classical music, literature classics and some geography, but maths and science topis  are a no go area for me - I don't even understand the questions. 


Tuesday  5th December 2017 
A friend round in the morning for a coffee and chat.  A good afternoon at the computer  - wrote a blog post for the Sepia Saturday prompt, and then turned to the last installment of my Danson narrative  -  the story of my grandparents William and Alice.  That has been on my "to do" list for far longer than I care to admit, as so many other tasks seem to get in the way of completing it.    Made good progress today  and covered the family in World War 1.
           My grandfather - William Danson who was awarded the Military Medal in 1918.                  
My grandmother Alice with their children - my mother, the serious little girl back right.  

Wednesday 6th December 2017
Off with the Wednesday Club to Kingsknowes Hotel. Galashiels  for a delicious Christmas lunch - good food, lovely table decorations, friendly staff and cheerful  company - what more could you ask for?   Especially as outside  Storm Caroline was blowing a gale.


Thursday 7th December 2017
To the High School where  students warmly welcomed senior citizens in the village to  a  afternoon tea of cakes and mincepies  followed by entertainment - excerpts from their  forthcoming pantomime"Sleeping Beauty".  All a  great credit to the school.

Friday 7 December 2017
Nh. round after school by which time we had managed to get down from the loft the Christmas tree and the boxes of decorations;  Nh. unpacking the boxes and discovering past delights.  For N. and I many of the adornments  bring back memories of our holidays  in Bavaria and Austria


  
Saturday 8 December 2017
A freezing cold morning - 2C/35F - so I  was surprised to  discovered in the garden this beautiful climbing rose blooming on the back fence  - with added touches of colour from the winter flowering jasmine and  cheerful red berries.          
      
To the Black Bull, Lauder  with the Women's Group for our Christmas lunch - lovely surroundings with a log stove burning brightly and elegant decorations.  I had turkey with all the trimmings, followed by  chocolate fondant which was was spot on, oozing sauce - delicious with vanilla ice-cream.   And of course mince pies to finish off.    

Music, Melody, Musical Note, NotenblattTo Melrose in the evening to  the Eildon Singers concert and a chance to sing some carols.     Yes,  I gave up TV's Strictly Come Dancing semi final to go, but I hope I never put television first as an excuse for not meeting friends.  I will soon catch up with the dancing on IPlayer. 


Sunday 9th December 2017
-5C in our unheated sun room this morning.  Heavy frost, but no snow.  Short walk. 
Earlston Christmas Lights switched on this evening.


 
 Our neighbour's contribution



**************

No comments:

Post a Comment